Friday, October 16, 2015

DJing

A friend on facebook was talking about being a DJ at a friends event. He was saying how he had DJed  many times before and knows what to play so leave him alone.
Wrong attitude!
 As a DJ you are there to please your listening audience. If I'm doing a set of Reggae tunes and someone request a Beatles song and I have it, well I'm playing it! It may not fit in with what I'm playing at the time but its a request.
 You also have to be a people person. Connecting with your listening audience is important.
Be friendly
Be outgoing
when someone saving your doing a good job thank them and give them your business card!
 many of todays DJs run from a laptop.
I still go with CDs.
Why?
 this way folks can go through and pick out what they like and say can you play track 4? usually If I have a few other requests Ill tell them
I have a few other songs to play then I play this after..and give them a high five or a fist bump. Most times they will take your word and be on their way. a few folks hang around though. If I don't know the person if sometimes makes me a little nervous. don't give that person nasty looks though. Just smile and carry on!
 Keep food and drink away from your gear. spills can be costly.
and DONT LET KIDS AND DRUNKS ON THE MIC! I  told a kid at a fair I had reggae myelitis and later his mom laughed cause she knew it was a song and they kids love to tell and scream on the mic!
Fundraisers
I tell folks that I'll volunteer my time to fundraisers. Community service is good publicity and makes me feel like I'm giving back to the town in a way!
OK well that all for now
 Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment