Friday, October 25, 2013

rembering Hurricane Sandy one year later Part 1

ReaD IN THE OCEAN STAR STORYS OF FOLS DISPLACED MY HUURICANE SANDY.
Heres mine

My Bother in Law AND HIS DAD WERE PREPPING FOR THE WORST.
Canoes tied up to trees,all Patio furnature accupied the guest room and some of my living room.
 Every thing else that could go in the garage did go in the garage.
 The day Sandy hit it was evedent this was not the false alarm Irene  was this was a real hurricane.
The winds picked up,the rain got intense,sparks flew from surrounding power boxes and then poof the lights went out!
 I sat there if my green chair watching the tree branches whipping about.
     I thought to myself "heck if that tree comes down I'm right here and whatever comes throught THAT window will hit ME!!
        I decided all the worrying was useless and figured on just getting some sleep,so I heading to bed.
Sllep?yeah rights If having a tree falling on me wasn't a worry having a Live  electric line was. The electric cable outside my bedroom window was swaying around like crazy.
the winds eventually calmed down and I got some sleep.

I woke up at about 11am and looked out my bedroom Window. All I saw was water .I ran to the starwll to see if it was in the house. Thankfully nothing!When I went downstars and   looked out the from door I saw my car in water. You could barely see the tires. I was a victim of hurricane Sandy!
 no power, no heat. not even a cell phone connection.
 By Thurseday it was apparent there would be no school for the rest of the week.
 Nancy,the kids and I went to Baltimore to meet my cousin Donna and here daughter to get away from it all.
We stayed in a beautiful hotel.Donna ran in with her   ipad tell me to get on facebook and tell folks I was OK!
That night I saw the news and how The Jersey shore was effected. I left messages on all my firefighter buddies phones wondering who was OK and if Bay Head was badly damaged.
 We arrived home on a Sunday. streets were lined with black garbage bages and appliances and furniture. It was shocking. Really shocking!
 Nancy informed me that I must empty out the refrigerator and my car.
$100.00 worth of food or close to that had to be thrown out.
 on top of that I had a 3 week unplanned vacation because all the students and staff were transferring to Antrim..except for me.
 I tried to think of ways to keep occupied.  I did a few hours of comity service at St Pauls in Bay Head.I tried to stop by to see if I could help Frank if some way.
Frank didn't even let me in the school.it was that bad.
End of Part 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment