Wednesday, March 12, 2014

remembering 2009 and myspace

Last night out of curiosity I looked to see if the website art of the mix was still around.it wasn't but I came across an article of someone remembering when she and her friends would make CD mixes for each other and how now one really does that anymore. it triggered the memories of 2009
  in 2009 there was this social network called myspace. It was more popular then facebook for a spell!
       I found this group called art of the mix. It was for folks like me who loved making  CD mixes and sharing them with others. Then I found IMP the international mixtape project..I joined both. I met many like minded folks who like me were obsessed with making CD mixes. we would exchange addresses and send each other mixes.
  AOM was having problems with viruses and such so we all jumped ship and joined another site called Zenrunning order aka ZeRo. that lasted for 2 years and that admin shut it down because of similar issues that he couldn't keep up with due to work and family issues.
  I stopped using myspace because my Hotmail account got hacked and figured my myspace account did too!
facebook got more user friendly so I signed up there. Luckily I was able to reconnect with some of my myspace friends who they themselves quit myspace and joined facebook.
  I'm still in touch with a handful of ZeRo friends who still have a passion for music and making mixes.
 one of them is Larry aka uncle Orca!We both the mixes through the mail idea even though postage has gone up! He occasionally even makes me mixtapes where he pretended to be a DJ and I told him he should get a job at a radio station. Hes that good!
 most everyone else puts their mixes on mixcloud. Not Larry and me!
many has fallen of the CD mix radar because of what I call real life issues. I say if you have an hour to yourself a day heck have fun and make a mix.
 With the revival of interest in LPs I'm hoping folks will once again be interested in making and trading CD mixes via mail.
 Some folks come into your life for a season and others stick around for more and theres always a reason and a lesson to be learned. Be thankful for ALL your friends and cherish the time you have with them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment