Monday, September 13, 2010

15 artists that impacted me musically

a fellow mixmaker is doing a challenge 15 albums in 15 minutes
I can narrow in that time or exact album but I can tell you artists who have inpacted me musically
1 The Beatles- so cute,so Talented and so creative its a shame they didnt stay together longer.The guys who sang come together couldnt stay together!
2 The Steve Miller Band-When I heard Fly like an eagle on the radio in 8th Grade I taped it every time I heard it.I cranked the volume every time I heard it.
3 Bob Marley and The Wailers-It took me a while to understand this new thing called reggae when I was in high school.I was a rock girl it wasnt till years later I got hooked on it
4 Miles Davis- I wasnt used to 10 minute songs except innagaddadavida but knew so what was one of the cooles jazz songs i heard
5 Herb Albert-My dad got me hooked on this jazz stuff at a young age
6 Peggy Lee-I got my Dad a cassette of hers on sale for his birthday one year and thought wow shes pretty cool.
7 Martin Denny-I think he would be considered an introduction to world music to me when I heard his song quiet Village in the 70s
8 Charlie Daniels-The first country record I bought was Million Mile Reflection.so awsome!
9 Irish Rovers- Like reggae the Irish Celtic bug didnt get me till years later after hearingThe unicorn song!
10 Johnny Cash-I got into Johnny Cash in the 90s.He had such a deep faith.I still cry watching his video of "Hurt"
11 Kraftwerk-I first heard Trans Europe Express in the late 80s.
12 Nina Simone-Someone gave me a record of hers years agoSome says shes blues,others say she jazz
13 Marvin Gaye-Another great man of faith a something important to say in his songs
14 My brother was always playing his albums in high school and by the 90s I was getting Parrot Head fever too!
15 Genesis-In the mid 80s I "Duke one one of my most played albums after a busy day at work!
There my friends are 15 of Mine..NOW please tell me 15 artists that impacted YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, Trish.
    Some of mine are same as yours...

    1) Johnny Cash - the first album I ever owned was Johnny Cash At Folsom Prison. The song Greystone Chapel created a permanent love for the steel guitar.

    2) Pete Drake - My parents apparently purchased his single Forever from a juke box. That love for the crying steel guitar became a fascination.

    3.1) The Beatles - Mom went out and bought Meet The Beatles when it was first released in the US...

    3.2) Elvis Presley - Dad responded to Meet The Beatles with 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong

    4) Ray Charles - The Genius, between his flawless playing and astonishing delivery, his work has always left a mark

    5) Bob Marley and The Wailers - Babylon By Bus. Seriously, is there another album that can tough that one? Live, cookin' and everything anyone could want if they like reggae.

    6) The Temptations - could out sing, out dance, out flash and just overcome anyone, anywhere at any time... Countless group changes and not only survived but kept coming back stronger and stronger...

    7) Cat Stevens - Teaser and The Firecat was the second album I owned, as well as the first I ever bought with my own money. I was SO happy when he decided to come back at start recording again, an old friend you thought you would never see again just stops by and picks up where they left off.

    8) Pink Floyd - Animals is still one of my all time favorite albums. David Gilmour is a grossly neglected guitarist.

    9) Enigma - from the first time I heard anything by them, I was totally hooked.

    10) Lou Reed - Journalist with guitar, looking at things that are there that no one else has the guts, or the stomach, to look at, and he looks deeply.

    11) Herb Alpert (with or without the Tijuana Brass) - Not quite pop, not jazz (compared to Miles), not quite like anything out there but happy, bouncy, sad, moving.

    12) Miles Davis - made me both fall in and out of love with jazz with the same album (Kind Of Blue). I was just starting to get serious about jazz, loved and love Coltrane, Parker, Turentine, Brubeck, others... then I heard Kind Of Blue, and everything else in jazz just seemed to be superfluous. One of the greatest and most important albums ever released.

    13.1) The Funk Brothers - The Motown house band, master craftsmen that shook the ground beneath our feet and ...

    13.2) Booker T & The MG's - The Stax house band, but Stax wisely let them out from the shadows. If only, if only, if only someone, somewhere at the time had only said: why don't we put them all in a studio at once, let them jam and see what happens...

    14.1 and 14.2) Patsy Cline and Janis Joplin - Women with more stones than any man, powerhouses beyond compare. I cannot think of one (or hear one) and NOT think of the other.

    ... and last, but not least...

    15) Todd Rundgren - Gentleman Genius. Massive talent.

    ReplyDelete